Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Shooty Terminators feelings thoughts and Emotional outburts

Hey gang I've been thinking, A dangerous past-time I know... about units I've discounted in favor of others and I think I may have missed something. Namely shooty terminators seem to have been taken off the game board by a perception that the assault terminator is just better. This and some discussions with Ciaphas Cain about the Imperial Fist list he came up with made me think. And as you can tell from my boota blog I like to try different things from time to time. And so my eye now heads over to the misunderstood Shooty Termies.

Arguments against shooty, they have only a 5+ invul compared to the 3+ ss variant. This is true, I contend that if you are relying on invul saves on your terminators wither 3+ or 5+ is less of a concern when dealing with ranged attacks. Their are few high volume of shots low ap weapons in the game, theirs plasma and some rarely taken psychic powers. But typically you are making saves from shooting on your terminator armor only not the invul. In this case both have the same save a 2+.

So with that why Shooty termies, the answer I give is flexibilty. No other unit in the marine codex has the combination of deployment, firepower, protection and range that shooty terminators do. Assault terminator are a focused unit they can do only 1 thing they do it extremely well but they are not flexible. The shooty terminators provide flexbilty. Two key items for shooty terminators the Chainfist upgrade and the Cyclone missile launcher. Why I believe these two are key is the chainfist is a meltabomb on steroids, This turns every termy equiped withit into a landraider busting machine, on the charge each chainfist is 3 attack that all resolve the roll for armor pen at str 8 + 2d6. Also each termy save the Srgt has a powerfist, I love PFs attack wise TH terminator and shooty terminator are virtually the same, save the dropping of int.

And now the most obvious advantage that shooty termies have over assault terminators they can shoot. I love the stormbolter, 2 shots str 4 range 24" and if you take a Cyclone missile launcher you still get to fire your stormbolter as well. Why I like the Cyclone is anytime you can take a missile launcher take it, 2 shots that can either be small blasts or str8 ap3 death is golden. Not to mention when mounted on a terminator the unit can move fire the rockets and then charge, love relentless. I find the key advantage the missile launcher has over the assault cannon is simply the range, and the variable round. Fewer shots but I like the options the extra range provides.

Some tactical thought

Shooty terminators are a great backfield counter strike force, in this method you can deploy them towards your rear objective and use them to take out enemy units that have broken your lines the combination of firepower and pf attacks can be an excellent counter charge.

Shooty terminators can deepstrike in late and finish off units, or get side rear armor on vehicles.

SHooty terminators can actually do something if their ride is destroyed or their libby teleport is broken.

I'm not saying their a better unit then assault terminators, I'm just saying don't discount them. thoughts feelings emotional outburts?

No comments:

Post a Comment